Thursday, July 20, 2006

PLEASE lighten up!

Okay, I just have to get this off my chest. Why do people get so bloody defensive when someone makes a suggestion about their parenting? I was reading a blog tonight that irritates me with it's constant cursing, but for some reason I can't stop reading it. Today she blogs about how a woman dared to tell her not to lay her baby somewhere because there were ants (and LO! A big ANT came crawling onto the blanket! But she was still irritated. Because why? Dunno.) And then the other woman dared to question her use of, wait for it, SUNSCREEN! Major parenting issues! The blogger then says this:

we've had almost no encounters like this. Not even from family. It almost ruined the day.

Seriously? Really? My goodness.

People make suggestions to me all the time. Drunk, homeless women question why Nate isn't wearing shoes. Old ladies with big hats returning from church suggest that I pull the stroller backwards so that the sun won't be in his eyes. My own dearest Mother queries, as I hand her a bottle to give him: "You have no sippy cups, baby?"

I. Couldn't. Care. Less. Bring it on! Sometimes these folks have good suggestions. If I don't agree, there's a really complicated response that I have: I DON'T DO WHATEVER IT IS THEY'RE SUGGESTING. End of story!

End of rant, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding me not to take life so serious. It is hard as a new mommy not to feel a bit insecure...plus, everyone likes to give advice. I tend to get overly sensitive to these comments (Mostly from family, I could give a rat's behind about what strangers say). I really appreciate your point of view:-)

I do not comment often, but I wanted to say Nate is getting cuter by the day