Thursday, January 24, 2008

Independency

I'm working on eBay while both boys are napping (!), and I hear Nate wake up and call out for me. I tell him I'll be right there, and while he's waiting he starts talking to himself: "All aboard!" (We're very into choo-choo trains these days. And horsies. And cowboys.)

After 5-10 minutes, I go in to get him. He puts his arm over his eyes which is his signal for not wanting to do whatever's coming his way. I ask if he wants me to leave him alone, and he says yes. I tell him "no problem" and to call me when he wants me, and head back to work.

It's been 15 minutes now. He's counting and singing, and calling out "Choo choo!"

I love it. It's so wonderful that he didn't want me, that he wanted to be alone and do his thing. I'm so proud of him!

Edited to add: 17 minutes later, he's still happily alone. Sometimes I hear "one two three four!" and then a long silence, then a bit of the ABC song...right now he's saying "Hockey! Hockey? Hockey!" and "My Grandma! My Mommy!"

No comments: