Thursday, March 20, 2008

Jack's Monthly Newsletter, Month Four

Dear Jack,

It is always a bad idea to start these letters while I'm bleary-eyed from lack of sleep due to someone being up every hour last night, but frankly if I didn't write while bleary-eyed, there'd be no blog. And it's also a bad idea to write in tiny-little-sit-down-and-type-for-three-minute spurts during someone's 13 minute naps, but again I'm left with no other choice due to someone's inability to sleep more than the aforementioned 13 minutes during the day. All I can hope is that a vaguely coherent blog is better than no blog at all. And a big shout-out to your crib mobile, which is keeping you occupied right at this very moment.

You had your four-month check yesterday and you are:

15 pounds, 6 ounces which puts you in the 50th - 75th percentile
27 inches tall which puts you in the 95th percentile



You are still the sweetest baby alive, with huge smiles for everyone and lots of laughs. Lately I can make you laugh hardest by saying "Stinky stinky POO POO" and bringing my face really close to yours for the all-important POO-POO part. What a boy, already enjoying the potty humor. Luckily your brother and your Daddy are both on your wavelength, so you guys will have a lot to talk about as you fart, poop, and laugh your way through life together. I will join in on the burping, but that's as far as I can take it.

You are ranting at your crib mobile right now, as you do for much of the day. You absolutely delight me with all of the talking you do, and the sincerity behind it all.


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


In the last few days I've noticed that your fists are finally starting to unclench, which means that instead of fruitlessly gumming your fists you're actually getting your fingers and occasionally a thumb into your mouth. Ah, blessed thumb-sucking, come visit our sleepless home. I welcome you with open arms, and thank you in advance for the comfort you will give my son while my boobs take a much-needed break from the thankless task.

Your eyes are getting darker and are a muddy hazel right now. You'll probably end up a plain-old brown just like your Mama, but the dimples on both cheeks will hopefully make up for it. Your Daddy and I think you're going to be dreadfully handsome, with your big eyes, dimples, and pouty lips. I especially love the way your eyes taper off on the sides.



You love to try to sit up now, and you can hold all of your own weight when I "stand" you up. You stare all around when I push you in the stroller, and you watch everyone while they move around the room with you. But your most favorite thing to watch, beyond everything and everyone, is your brother. You can't take your eyes off of him. A few days ago you were sitting on my lap on the couch, and Nate was running back and forth past us. Out of nowhere you started laughing on each pass he made by us. If you're in a bad mood, all I need to do to cheer you up is to have Nate come over and smile at you. You grin back instantly.

Having two kids has been a lot harder than I anticipated. Sometimes I get frustrated with the limited time alone with each of you, and the almost non-existent time alone by myself. But every single day I look forward to time when your brother is sleeping and you are not when I take you into the living room and spend time just us. Sometimes I sit with my back to the couch and you laying between my legs, and sometimes we both lay on the floor looking at each other. I talk to you, and smile at you, and tickle you, and we're just downright delighted with each other.



You really are my sunshine, and I'm so glad you were born.

I love you.
Mama

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jack looks like Jack now- no longer like Nate. What a sweetie... I love the coos. :)