Sunday, January 8, 2006

Learn from my mistakes

I have several friends who are about to have babies. I want to tell them things. I want to take them by the shoulders and shake them and insist that they listen to me, so they do not end up making some of my mistakes. But I've pledged to never be one of those people. I will not judge the choices other people are making as parents, because this is hard and complicated and there are no right answers. Except my answers - those are right.

So I say nothing on the phone or in e-mail or in person. But this is my blog. And I can say anything here that I want to say. So, Jonathan, and others, please heed this:

Let your baby have a pacifier. It is good and holy and Nate will not take one because I waited too long to give him one. Why did I wait too long? Because "they" scared me about nipple confusion, and my milk not coming in.

Hear this: I have now talked with over one trillion women and NOBODY knows ANYBODY who had nipple confusion. Babies are not stupid. If they want milk, and they suck on something which provides no milk, they will scream and holler until you give them milk. Likewise, if they DO NOT want milk, and they suck on something which provides milk, they will scream and holler until you take it away.

Give Squirmy a paci, okay? Okay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you crack me up, my BIL and SIL were desperate from the minute that kid was born for him to take a paci. Hever never ever did. Refused it from the get go. They told me to order a kid who would take one. "trust me" they said.

And I do.