Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Man on the Moon

My sons woke up this morning to a different world. They'll never know a time before it was possible that a black man could be elected to the Presidency of the United States. I'm so happy for them, for us, for our country. On the morning that we wake up knowing that a woman can be President, I'll feel like this country has truly matured.

I took them with me to vote yesterday and was given a choice of a paper ballot or voting electronically. I took the paper, and stood Nate up on a chair in our little spot so that he could watch me fill it out. He really didn't understand anything that was going on. When I looked down at Barack Obama's name in the first position, I started crying. Of course Nate doesn't understand joyful tears, so he kept asking me what was wrong. I assured him that I was okay, but he wasn't having it. He leaned his face over into mine and said "Look! I'll make a happy face!" and smiled a forced wide smile. My gosh, he's got such a good heart.



We turned in our ballot, got our "I voted" stickers, and celebrated at home with Chinese food. I am grateful for my life, for my family, for my friends who plunked on my couches to watch the returns, for this country that keeps trying to better itself. We are all so lucky.

No comments: