Sunday, June 14, 2009

Quick update

I know, I know - I missed another Nate newsletter. We're just so busy with buying the house, getting Nate ready to start camp tomorrow (!) and regular life that I just had to let it go.

Jack had his 18-month checkup last week and the doctor is very happy with his progress. She said if he came in as a new patient she wouldn't have any concerns about his speech or development. He has about 16 words that he uses totally independently now and several more that he repeats. He's now trying Please ("peeeeee!") and All Done. He's cruising along, and my concerns are by the wayside. I'm so grateful that this sweet boy of mine is okay.



Here are his stats from the appointment:

Height: 33.5 inches (75-90th percentile)
Weight 26.2 pounds (50-75th percentile)
Head circumference: 50 cm (95th percentile - thank goodness he didn't come out the old fashioned way!)

So Nate starts camp tomorrow and it'll be the first time he goes full-day (the hours are 9-5 but I'll probably head over around 3:30 or 4). I'm very aware that this is a major turning-point in Nate's life and in mine, too. I feel like we're at the top of the hill and he's about to head down the other side - I can see him starting slowly and picking up speed as he moves towards his life, and away from life with me.

I know I've made mistakes with him. It's just in the last weeks that I've found a middle-ground where I'm still enforcing the discipline but taking the edge off so we're getting through the days with a lot more laughter and fun. I wish I'd found it sooner. I regret so many days I could have lighten the mood, played a little more, worked a little less.

But I also know I must have done okay because he still wants me around, he still asks me to play, he wants to hug me when I'm sad, and he's got the greatest heart I've ever seen. He's giving and loving and kind, and if he's also sassy and grumpy sometimes I'll take him exactly the way he is.



Any minute he's going to grow up - I've already seen it happen with his friends. They're already concerned with how they look, what they say - they already don't want Mom around. Nate's not there yet and I promise to savor all of this little-boy time we have left. I'm so grateful for him, for his spirit, for his fun, for his sweetness.



Love you Natey.

No comments: