Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Notes from the sleepland

Jack has officially outgorown the Miracle Blanket; he can bust out very quickly and ends up with it wrapped around his neck. Not good. I spent two hours yesterday morning walking to stores that said they carried an extra-large swaddle blanket only to find out that nobody carries this blanket anymore.

He's also seemingly compelled to turn onto his tummy at all costs, which is odd since he seems to despise being on his belly.

Therefore it was decided by the committee (me) that Sleep Training 101 would start last night. This meant that Jack would sleep on his belly, unswaddled, and that I would only nurse him at the standard midnight and 4 am. My intention was to let him Cry It Out the rest of the times he woke up.

Here's how it actually went:

7:30 - down for the night with paci in mouth. It worked.
10:45 - up crying. Let him cry 5 minutes, patted him on the back for 1, let him cry for 5 minutes, patted him on the back for 1 and then gave him the paci (didn't work), let him cry for 5 minutes, then gave him the paci again (worked). It's just so hard to see him miserable and confused!
12:50 - up crying. Nursed him, paci. Worked.
2:50 - up crying. Gave him the paci. Worked.
4:30 - up crying. Nursed him, paci. Worked.
7:30 - up babbling.

Not as good as I'd hoped for but not as bad as I'd expected. I have no idea if giving him the paci instead of the boob will help teach him not to wake up. I'm going to give this a few days and see how things develop. If he just keeps waking up all the time demanding the paci instead of the boob, I'll re-evalutate.

Sleep on!

No comments: